Saturday, December 21, 2013

"If She Offers $7"

Set for life? Not in the way the world usually uses that phrase. But I guarantee we are perfectly taken care of if we listen inside to the Voice of our Holy Spirit and do as told. This episode might not seem to be as miraculous as the yellow pages story. But then A Course in Miracles tells us all miracles are equal in magnitude.

It was the late 1990s and I needed a job so was interviewing around Salt Lake City for various jobs. I found myself at the Morris-Murdock travel building interviewing for a job as a telephone sales person for Vanguard Vacations, a little start-up operation loosely associated with Vanguard Airlines. When I was told the pay was $6 per hour, an amount I really couldn't have survived on at the time, I was disappointed. After I left the interview, I concluded I wasn't interested.

But about a week later while working at a temporary job, I was told there was a phone call for me from the lady at Vanguard Vacations. As I was on the way to answer the phone to tell her I didn't want the job after all, our Holy Spirit's Voice surprised me saying, "If she offers $7 per hour, take the job." I felt some resistance because even $7 didn't sound good to me. When I answered the phone, she immediately offered $7 if I would come to work for them. Since I always do as told when I hear the Voice, I accepted her offer, I'm sure with no great enthusiasm.

$7 an hour wasn't much but, since I helped build the operation, commissions and bonuses came my way. So it worked out.

Then after a couple years I saw an article in the Salt Lake Tribune that a new airline was starting up and was to be called JetBlue Airways. I immediately felt strongly that I was supposed to work for JetBlue. I even dug around and found a phone number to call. But when I dialed a gruff male voice said, "Just send a resume." I didn't like the tone of voice, so I delayed.

However, a year later I did apply to JetBlue and my experience at Vanguard Vacations easily opened the JetBlue door. I ended up working for JetBlue for nearly 13 years, and built a 401k savings which may go a long way toward providing nothing fancy, but maybe the basics for life. The habit of listening to the Voice and doing as told is a pretty good habit, wouldn't you say?

Interesting coincidence: One of our current Miracles session attendees, now a good friend, is a nephew of and lives in the house of June Morris who started and built Morris Travel. June had also been the mentor of David Neeleman, who started JetBlue Airways. June speaks very admirably of A Course in Miracles. I found out these connections just before I left JetBlue. Full circle?

By the way, you might ask why I have always worked at outside jobs instead of charging for helping people open spiritually. For some reason regarding my spiritual work, I especially enjoy obeying Jesus Christ: "Freely ye have received, freely give."

No comments:

Post a Comment